Suitcase Theatre is different people at different times. We compile local talents to meet the requirements of individual projects, so you’ll see lots of familiar faces from the Dunedin theatre scene playing integral roles in our productions.
Every Suitcase Theatre project includes our core team of trustees – We write, produce and wrangle, we perform, manage and make theatre happen. We are all passionate about theatre and have diverse skill sets to ensure what we make is great.
Performer – Writer – Director
I have been hooked on most things theatre since the age of 7 and I make a point of ensuring I can find time to get involved with really great pieces of theatre with really great groups of people.
I began performing in children’s shows at The Playhouse Theatre (Dunedin Repertory), and after 10 years of hard slog branched out into Fringe Festival pieces and pantomimes with amateur company Look Left Again. Since 2009 I’ve been involved with a number of productions at the Globe Theatre, getting the opportunity to play some truly memorable roles, like Titania in A Midsummer Nights` Dream (2014), Liza Koletsky in Agatha Christie`s Verdict (2015), and jaded Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing (2017).
When I’m not on the stage I’m busy with a full-time job, dreaming about future theatre projects, and rocking around with my side-kick (and Suitcase mascot) golden retriever Max.
- Nominee – 2021 Dunedin Theatre Awards – Outstanding Performer in “And then there were none” (Playhouse Theatre)
- Winner – 2019 Dunedin Theatre awards – “Outstanding Performer” for her part in Ophelia Thinks Harder (Globe Theatre Dunedin).
Performer – Director – Writer
Theatre has been my passion since my first role aged nine. For me, theatre is about the constant learning and the experiences that come from sharing a journey with generous and wonderful people. Growing up with Wessex Youth Theatre I took part in One Act Play Festivals across the UK and L.A.M.D.A examinations. With Basement Theatre, a group I established whilst studying at the University of Warwick, I performed and produced plays for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Now settled in Dunedin I have been acting and directing mostly for The Globe Theatre. I simply can’t get enough of the theatrical roller-coaster!
- Helen was the winner of the Dunedin Theatre awards most prestigious “best actress in a classical role” for her part in Mary Stewart (Globe Theatre Dunedin, 2016).
Performer – Costumier- – Director – Writer
I discovered acting in my final years of high school and
recently realized I’ve been “treading the boards” for more than 10 years!
Acting is a great passion of mine, manifesting as a hobby that occasionally sneaks into my ‘real’ life and I have been involved with a range of theatre groups. In Palmerston North I worked with the Massey University Drama Society and The After Eden Company, since moving to Dunedin I have been heavily involved with the Globe Theatre as well as performing for Counterpoint, Sacrilege, and Rare Byrds productions.
- Winner: Best scenographic design – Macbeth (The Globe Theatre – 2013).
- Special commendation: Outstanding costume design – The Skriker (Little Scorpion Productions – 2016).
- Winner: Outstanding costume design: The Pirates of Penzance (Opera Otago – 2017).
- Nominated for best director: Crunchy Silk 2019.
Check out my design work here.